For 26 years, fire departments across the country have been able to deliver the lifesaving Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® message to a greater number of community residents by enlisting the support of community organizations and businesses. Following are ideas to help you tap your local resources:
Working with Local Retailers
- Contact local retailers, especially those that sell Energizer® MAX® brand batteries, and ask them to help you spread the Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® message by installing, displaying or conducting demonstrations of emergency equipment in the store, placing reminders in their ads or on store bags, or hanging a banner outside or inside their store.
Working with Local Businesses
- Contact local banks, utilities and cable stations about including a Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® reminder in their monthly customer statements.
- Contact major corporate employers in your jurisdiction and ask them to include a Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® reminder in their employee newsletters or paychecks.
- Send them the news release and art.
- Ask businesses to donate space for a Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® message or banner.
Working with Civic Groups
- Ask various community groups to help you distribute literature before or during a neighborhood canvass or involve them in planning and staffing home safety rallies or open houses.
- Tap into their community contacts to secure public service announcements and other reminders from local businesses.
- Work with your local government to make the Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® program and fire safety a priority in your community.
Host events in October during Fire Prevention Month and leading up to the time change weekend, including: neighborhood canvasses to check and change smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries; open houses; displays or demonstrations of emergency services equipment; and parades. Orchestrate an event in conjunction with a local retailer or your local school district.
Resources to help garner community involvement and support: