Coin Lithium Battery Safety

Baby with remote control in her mouthPreventing Coin Lithium Battery Injury
Small electronics like the ones pictured below are convenient and portable, but they run on coin lithium batteries – which can pose a safety risk to young children if swallowed.



Banner with household products

A few important safety facts:

  • About 3,500 coin lithium battery swallowing cases are reported every year
  • Children under age 4 are at greatest risk
  • Coin lithium batteries can get stuck in a child’s esophagus
  • Swallowing can cause serious injury in less than two hours
  • Symptoms of ingestion are coughing, drooling and discomfort
  • Storing spare batteries out of a child’s reach is critically important
  • Purchase child-resistant battery packaging that requires scissors to open

Energizer’s Commitment
 

 

Energizer is working to eliminate injuries from coin lithium battery ingestion through:

v2iconfinder_web_clipboard_4681651

Device Designs

We actively participate in standardizing warning language and device design to make it harder for children to access battery compartments.

v2iconfinder_5-Research_2674097

Research & Safety Standards

We continue to collaborate with health and safety professionals to research the chemical reaction when coin lithium batteries are swallowed – and help find a solution.

 

v2iconfinder_Logo_dropbox_box_6214719

Child-resistant Packaging

Energizer is the first battery manufacturer to introduce coin lithium battery packaging that voluntarily complies with child-resistant packaging standards and recommendations made by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

v2iconfinder_WebInSquare_for_publish-09_2449559

Awareness Efforts

In 2011, we launched the first industry-led effort to raise awareness of the coin lithium battery issue among parents and caregivers through a partnership with Safe Kids Worldwide, the National Capital Poison Center, and other health and safety organizations.

 
 

Suspect a swallowing? What to do NOW:

  1. Take your child to the Emergency Room immediately
  2. Tell doctors and nurses it might be a coin lithium battery and ask them to call Poison Control at call 800-498-8666 for treatment information
  3. Provide the battery size or manufacturer part number from the battery’s package, if possible
  4. Do NOT let the child eat or drink until an X-ray determines if a battery is present
  5. Do NOT induce vomiting

 

Important safety links to keep handy

www.BatteryIngestionHotline.com or call 800-498-8666

www.SafeKids.com